Friday, May 11, 2012

Radical.

When I first started blogging, it was on a more serious note. 

I wrote about my struggles and my faith. I spoke from a truthful heart even when that heart wasn't all that pretty.

I never had any clear intentions when I started blogging again. I just knew I missed writing. Writing has always afforded me the most clarity in the midst of my struggles. And the words that I write have always been my most powerful voice.

I lost that voice for a long time. I had no passion for writing. I didn't have a whole lot worth saying.

Lately, I've been asking Jesus to show up in my life in a radical way. 

These last two weeks I have been thinking a lot about my past. I have been having dreams about people from my past. And I think I realized today what the Lord is saying to me in these dreams and thoughts. 

You know how in the book of Matthew the Pharisees try to test Jesus and they ask him what the greatest commandment is? Do you remember Jesus' response? Love God. Love people. (Matthew 22:34-40)

You wanna hear something really subversive? Most of us are failing miserably at this. I know I am.

The truth is I have been struggling with my relationship with Jesus for quite some time. This idea of lukewarm Christianity has never been enough for me. And somewhere along the way, I think I got so caught up in my search for the line between legalism and righteousness that I lost sight of Christ. And in turn, I lost sight of people.

Ephesians 5:1&2 says, "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."

That's the truth of the matter.

We're called to be imitators of Christ. I am called to be an imitator of Christ. 

Which means walking, speaking, and living in love. If Jesus loved people unconditionally then we are asked to do the same. 

Like I said before, I have not been doing this. Not in the least. In fact, I often go out of my way to avoid people. 

But I think if we all lived like Jesus called us to live, our lives would be radically different. Other people's lives would be radically different. Because when you're in love with Jesus, it changes everything.

I'm a work in progress. But I'm going to continue to ask God to show up in my life. By His grace, my life will be different; I will be different.

"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ."
                                 -1 Corinthians 11:1

No comments:

Post a Comment